Off to See the Wizard PR&P S24 Week 3

 

When I signed up for Project Run and Play, I had no idea how far I would get. I am in awe that I made it to week 3 and I could not have done it without you all. Seriously, without the public vote, I would have gone home. Thank you all for voting for me! This week's theme is "all the world's a stage". I have lots of favorite musicals but few are child appropriate. The Wizard of Oz is a classic and one of my all time favorite. What a good reminder that we all have what we need right inside us already. 

I'm sure all of you have seen beautiful recreations of the Wizard of Oz costumes. I know I have, so I didn't want to just recreate. I wanted to give a modern and practical twist. 

First off is the Tin Woodsman. Cali Fabrics was very generous in giving us a $50 shopping credit. They carry super fun fabrics and when I saw these silvers, I knew what I wanted to do. Levi's pants are the Mini Hudson joggers. I added pin tucks to the knees to resemble the Tin Man's joints. The jacket is the Ollie bomber from Sew a Little Seam. I wanted to add heart details in the outfit in a subtle way so I chose a heart quilt block and pieced it into the front bodice. 



Adding these details to silver spandex was no easy task but definitely worth it. Ollie is such a great pattern, I can't wait to make more. 





I realized last minute that Levi needed a shirt to go under the jacket. I wanted it to play on the Tin Woodsman thinking he did not have a heart. I used the Lemon Tee from Suco by Susan. This was a great pattern and came together super quickly. I drew an appliqué of a cardiogram and added it to the shirt. 



Dorothy needed to be tween approved. I started with the Thistle Dress from Jennuine Designs. I am a sucker for those bishop sleeves. I took the bodice and lengthened it to be shirt length. Dorothy has puff sleeves so bishop sleeves seemed like a good modern switch. The original has rick rack around the neck and sleeve cuffs. I found this super pretty elastic and added it for a pop of color. I doubled the neckband to make it taller, almost like a turtleneck. I'm obsessed with this navy gingham from Raspberry Creek Fabrics. I thought it would make the perfect modern Dorothy. The skirt pattern is the Sunshine Days skirt from Thread Faction. 



Harper suggested we try to make a basket inspired purse so I bought some belting and went for it. I love that she wants to add details to the outfit. 


The rainbow earrings are the final touch. Happy Together has a tutorial that I loosely followed. 


For Garnet, I wanted to do a 3 year old friendly Glinda. I started with the Rosie Cotton pattern from JillyAtlanta. I love the sweetheart neckline on this pattern and knew it would be a good starting point. The pink fancy fabrics are also from Cali Fabrics. I added a gathered overlay to the front bodice. For the back, I knew that buttons would not work well with these fabrics so I widened the back and added two elastic casings. This makes the dress easy to get on and off. The skirt is organza, chiffon, and tulle. 

   


Glinda's final touch was the hat. I found some foam at the craft store and cut out the design on top. I sprayed the whole thing with adhesive and covered it with glitter. So much glitter everywhere. 


This is the first time I've done 3 full outfits, another fun challenge. Project Run and Play has pushed me in so many ways, and I am very grateful for this experience. If you like this look, please vote at Project Run and Play!

Comments