Levi's Zebra Costume


Here is the proud zebra. I posted this picture and did not have time to write a post so I thought I would fill in the blanks.

Levi would not pick ONE thing to be for Halloween, every day it was something different. "I want to be Spiderman!" "Superman!" "A bat!" "A pumpkin!" Anything and everything imaginable. The kids and I went to Joann's to get stuff for Harper's costume and he spotted the zebra fleece. At that point, I was thinking I would just pick and buy him a costume but he HAD to have the zebra fabric. So I looked him square in the eye and said he was not going to change his mind if I made him a costume. 

After searching Pinterest, I only found one tutorial that kind of looked like what I wanted. I had just bought the SewFab bundle (so happy I did), which contained the Bimaa Sweater. I wanted to use this because of the middle panel on the hood. I sewed up the pattern according to directions until I pieced the hood together. I had googled zebra ears until I found a shape I liked, sized it way down, added pink, and sewed one in between the first side panel and the middle piece. Then I added the mane before adding the other side and ear. I measured the length of the hood and subtracted seam allowances and cut 5 stripes of fabric that were 5" wide. Starting with the one closest to the side panel and sewing down the middle piece of the strip, until all five were added. Then I make a ton of cuts to make it look like a mane. After the hair-do, I added the other side piece with the second ear. Emmyloubeedoo has a tutorial on her blog on adding ears to the bimaa- super quick and simple! 

I chose to line the hood and as you can see, the results at the top where the mane is, were not so good. I had read a blog where the lady made a My Little Pony costume from the Bimaa in fleece and she said she did not go up a size and she was fine. I wish I had decided to size up, Levi was squished in that costume! I think you can tell though, that he loved it. 

For the pants, I used the Alex and Anna Winter PJs from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop as a guide and made them as wide as a pair of existing pants. This worked fairly well although my husband said it looked like he was wearing slim fit pants. 

Overall, not a bad first go at costume making. I haven't ever really ventured from directions in a pattern (lame I know) so that and having not seen a costume like this was exciting. Next year, I may give it another go! 




Comments