Back to School Sewing Pt. 1

I should preface by saying, there are no promises for Pt. 2. Who knows if the boy will cooperate for pictures.

I decided this summer to start working on B2S clothes for both kids. I could sense our summer was getting cut short by cold fronts, so I went to work on school appropriate shirts and pants. The progress report for Harper:
-2 shirts
-1 dress
-2 pants
..not a bad start.

The first shirt started as a Gumnut Dress. I had to modify the skirt piece because of fabric constraints. I used one of the Birch Charley Harper knits. I was hoping the Birch fabrics would be similar to Art Gallery- my favorite- since they are about the same price wise. I do not love Birch as much as I thought I would, which is good for my wallet. The nice thing about this knit is that it does not curl. It does not have a lot of stretch, though. I love the birds and the other Charley Harper prints but am unsure if I would order again. Overall, it makes a cute shirt and is customer approved.







The second top is none other than the Bimaa Hoodie. If you follow me on IG, you may have noticed I like this pattern a whole lot. The girl wanted one that had short sleeves and a skirt. I should have doubled up on the skirt panel, but don't tell her that. She likes having input in design.
The knit for this Bimaa is from Joann's. Man, have they really stepped up with these new Doodle knits. Awesome weight and stretch. I love them!





The dress is a VFT Margot. I chose not to line this dress like the pattern says. The lining served no purpose- it did not hide any seams- and just added bulk. Instead, I created a neck binding and sewed it on the inside of the dress. The dress has the option of fancy faux french cuffs. My favorite part may be the slight high-low hem, which will look great with some cute boots! This knit is also from the Doodles collection at Joann's.




I cringed when Harper picked out this granny floral knit. I was really hoping to do these in a butterfly print that coordinates with the above fabrics. But, she saw this and had to have it. These pants are from the Mini Hudson Pants pattern. I really love how these turned out. They are so soft and the drape is wonderful.



 (We are really abusing the "thinking" pose. Ha!)


These kids won't wear denim under snow pants, which is why the Hudson's were perfect for school pants. The second pair is heavier and will be great when the temperatures drop >.<.





I hope that if I keep these two pieces away from each other, she will forget about re-creating this look, although I did see Macy's selling sets for Fall, so it's totally in season right? Ha! This is not what I had in mind but I am sure it will be worn to school at least once. 


Most importantly, I cannot believe this girl is going to be in 2nd grade!! How did that happen? Let me know what you've been making for back to school. I think I would like to do coats next. 

Comments