Fall Leaves and Autumn Breeze




Hi and welcome to Cut, Sip, Sew! I am so excited, honored (and nervous!) to be competing in this season of Project Run and Play. For those of you who are new to PR&P, it is an online kid's clothing sewing competition. I have been following PR&P for many years now. When Audrey asked if I would consider competing, I didn't even fully register what she was saying. I thought she was asking if I would stay on to test patterns for PR&P. I went back to reread the message a few days later and I believe my response was "Wait, what?!?". I LOVE testing patterns and sewing but I usually stick to the pattern. Designing has been a whole new thing and now that I've started, I can't wait to keep trying new stuff out. 

There's a blurb about my look over on the PR&P blog. So I will try not to repeat myself but I did want to share some more pictures of the outfits. We took pictures on 3 separate occasions and it took bribes of gummies and Halloween candy to get some decent shots; my preschooler drives a hard bargain. 

For this week, the theme was Lovely Layers. If you are local to New England, you know layers are a must during Fall. We wake up to 40 degrees, by lunch its 65, and sunset is chilly again. I wanted Garnet to be able to add or take off layers as needed to adapt to the weather. 




Patterns used: Chromium HoodieFlash LeggingsSkiff Tee. For the base layer, I wanted something that could stand on its own or look cute under layers. I think my favorite detail is the scallop hem leggings. 






For the second layer, I wanted to create a jumper that had a Mod vibe. This pink corduroy from Joann's adds a bit of warmth and with no closures, it's easy to take on and off. I did a bit of modifying and mashing of patterns to get this look. The patterns I started with are: Jonagold Jumper, & Overlay Top & Dress (available Oct. 19). Both of these patterns were great starting points. Once I had the shape I wanted, I scooped out the front and back V. Garnet is not into many frills but she does like pink so she was happy to have a few pops of color in the outfit. 








The final layers are the coat and hat. The coat started as a Louisa Coat. I went back and forth for a while about how best to add scallops to the coat and which way they should face. I decided I liked them lined with a small bit of the navy lining sticking out to make them pop. The Louisa Coat pattern has a collar but I wanted more of a funnel neck. We live close to the ocean so anything that helps against the wind is essential. The Sweet Pea Cap really finishes the look. I didn't alter much on the hat because this is the first hat I've ever made and I just don't know enough about hats to really experiment yet. I did round out the ears to be more bear-like. Both coat and hat fabrics are from Joann's. I think overall, this outfit can weather the New England temperature changes and maybe even take us into winter months.  

If you have stayed this far, thank you! Hopefully, I will be back next week with another exciting look! 

Comments

  1. I am obsessed with those scallops on the jacket to the point that I'm going to try and make them happen on one for myself. SO. CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Oh my gosh, please do it!! Wait, now I kinda want one for myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment