Signature Style : PR&P

 




Warning: this post may contain lots of goofy 3 year old faces. 


When I started planning my outfits for Project Run and Play, I knew Signature Style would be the hardest. Signature Style is always week 4 on PR&P so I tried to start planning as soon as I knew I would be competing. It's so easy to say what my style is NOT but I like so many things, it's hard to say what my style IS. 


I think I have it narrowed down to this: Classic & Playful (Thanks to my friend Virginia who helped me put this into words). Typically, I'm a pretty impulsive sewist. I usually don't plan full outfits, I buy way too many prints and not enough solids, and it takes a lot of motivation to make something if I HAVE to. Lucky for me, I was inspired for week 4. 


Someone I love very much loves butterflies so I dedicate this outfit to her. 2020 has been a crazy year and I hope this brings some light to her day. 


For this dress, I started with the Thistle Dress from Jennuine Designs. I scooped out the back and added a couple of braids. I wanted to incorporate the butterfly wings in the skirt so I drew out a wing and used scraps to appliqué the spots. I also changed the sleeves and added 4 layers of tulle to the skirt. 

I almost didn't finish this jacket when I was voted off last week but my friend Mary-Beth encouraged me to do it anyway. I'm so glad I did! 

The top bodice of this jacket is from the Desmond Jacket pattern from Shwin & Shwin. I wanted a pretty trench and the Desmond gave me a good starting point. I added a skirt, belt loops, a belt, a hood, and made it double breasted instead of single. Oh! and it has pockets, of course. 


I love how this came out. I wish someone would make a similar pattern because it was a lot of hacking to get to this point. 

The jacket fabrics are from Joann's. The butterfly dress fabrics are Raspberry Creek, Purple Seamstress, and Joann's. 


Styling is all Garnet. I probably should have vetoed the knee socks and crocs. 





I'm really very thankful for everyone who voted and cheered me on during my time on Project Run and Play. I was bummed I wouldn't be able to show my week 4 look when I was voted off but I am glad to have finished it anyway. It feels like closure on a very fun and amazing experience. 


Comments